Titans Youth Hockey, also known as Titans or DC Titans, is a low-cost, recreational ice hockey program for boys and girls in Washington, DC.
Our program, which began as the Georgetown Titans, was founded in 2010 by Coach Willy Meaux. His mission was to put kids -- especially those from underserved communities -- on the ice and teach them the game. It was a radical idea for a sport that is expensive and traditionally not accessible to many communities. Coach Meaux supported families and kids as they strived, and many became passionate hockey players. Coach Meaux transformed lives, and is also part of an effort to transform the sport by making it more diverse - and making it a sport any child can dream of doing.
We continue this mission, of making it possible for any child to love the game, and to develop sportsmanship, character and courage. Here are our program principles:
Inclusion. The Titans do not hold try-outs. The only requirement to participate is a desire to play. Players will never be cut. Those who join will always be invited to continue, as long as they are of the appropriate age. Our motto is "Once a Titan, always a Titan."
Affordability. Using fundraising and business sponsorships to subsidize the program, the Titans keep costs as low as possible, assist families with finances and equipment as best we can.
Scholarships. The Titans offer full-cost scholarships -- including fees, equipment, travel and summer hockey camp -- to families who would not otherwise be able to afford a hockey program.
Girls. The Titans actively welcome girls and work hard to create an environment in which girls thrive.
Summer Hockey Camp. The Titans have a relationship with the University of Notre Dame, and we send players during the summer (including those on scholarship) to their week-long hockey sleep-away camp. The Titans also work with Notre Dame's progressive youth sports education program, Play Like a Champion Today, which promotes an inclusive, development-oriented youth sports culture.
The Titans Youth Hockey Teams are: Mites (8U), Squirts (10U), Peewees (12U) and Middle School - Bantam (14U), and compete in the Capital Corridor Hockey League (CCHL). Titans is proud to be the only club that represents the District of Columbia in the CCHL. The Titans rosters roughly between 60 to 80 players in a hockey season.
The Titans home is the Fort Dupont Ice Arena in Washington, DC.
We believe every leader of the sport has the responsibility to inspire stakeholders in an effort to deliver a positive family hockey experience. Hockey participation offers families value beyond making an individual a better player or even a better athlete. The game of hockey is a powerful platform for participants to build character, foster positive values and develop important life skills. These benefits are available to all players, desirable to every family and transcend the game.
Today, guided by our common values, we jointly pledge to the following Principles. We Believe:
1. Hockey should be an enjoyable family experience; all stakeholders - organizations, players, parents, siblings, coaches, referees, volunteers and rink operators - play a role in this effort.
2. Hockey's greatest value is the role it plays in the development of character and life skills.
3. All hockey organizations - regardless of size or level of competition - bring value to players and families in their ability to deliver a positive family experience.
4. Physical activity is important for a healthy body, mind and spirit.
5. There are significant benefits of youth participation in multiple sports.
6. Hockey programs should be age-appropriate for all players, accounting for each individual's physical, emotional and cognitive development.
7. There is great value in all forms of hockey, both on and off the ice.
8. All hockey programs should provide a safe, positive and inclusive environment for players and families regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation and socio-economic status. Simply put, hockey is for everyone.
Titans Youth Hockey is a registered, IRS-approved, 501(c)(3); Tax ID Number is 82-3292741.